SBI REDUCES CARBON FOOTPRINT AND SAVES 32% ON FUEL IN TANZANIAN PROJECT WITH OMNICOMM
Civil engineering company minimizes resource wastage, costs and carbon emissions during extensive road construction project using OMNICOMM fleet management solution.
SBI International Holdings AG (SBI) was contracted to upgrade a large section of a major road in Tanzania, and implemented OMNICOMM's complete fleet management solution to reduce costs and environmental impact as part of the company's sustainable and innovative business strategy. With OMNICOMM, SBI has significantly improved control over fleet equipment, CO2 emissions and energy consumption, ultimately boosting productivity and efficiency.
The major requirement of the project is to contribute to sustainable development of the region and to minimize negative impacts on the environment and communities within the area. SBI is committed to sustainable development, and was selected as the company most qualified to fulfill the project requirements. To achieve efficient resource use and reduce emissions and other impacts, SBI needed a sophisticated natural energy (fuel) and fleet management solution.
Minimizing waste and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from construction equipment is an important part of SBI's sustainability approach to mitigate negative environmental impacts during projects of this magnitude.
This includes the efficient use and monitoring of energy resources (including the reduction of CO2 emissions and compliance with GRI reporting on energy use), saving on equipment part replacements, optimizing productivity, optimizing routes for equipment involved in the project, and minimizing idling. Effectively controlling fuel consumption is the most critical consideration.
SBI had great experience in successfully facing these challenges during a similar project in Kenya, which they tackled using OMNICOMM's fuel and fleet management solutions. They decided to extend the success of the Kenyan project to Tanzania with an added focus on sustainability and innovation. OMNICOMM offered the following complete fleet management solution:
- Monitoring and reduction of carbon footprint from equipment in the project, achieved by the use of OMNICOMM Online cloud-based fleet monitoring service integrated with OMNICOMM onboard terminals and OMNICOMM fuel-level sensors.
- Highly accurate and reliable physical fuel measurement and control – OMNICOMM sensors were installed in every energy-consuming asset in the project.
- Highly accurate location and movement tracking – OMNICOMM terminals were installed in every energy-consuming asset in the project.
- Remote fuel authorization and restriction options
- The ability to accurately gauge fuel volumes in stationary tanks
- An integrated web platform with worldwide access and mobile apps (OMNICOMM Online)
With OMNICOMM's complete fleet management solution, SBI has been able to commit to a sustainable approach, contributing to the flourishing development of this unique region while minimizing the impact of a large road construction project. SBI has experienced results including:
- Reduction of carbon footprint and improved carbon footprint monitoring, which assists in compliance with international standards and sustainability reporting (GRI)
- Optimized fleet management to increase production and improve efficiency as part of sustainable and innovative business strategy
- Full monitoring and control of energy consumption (fuels), leading to a reduction in usage and savings of 32%
- Better control over equipment (including engine hours & mileage)
- Savings on spare parts, over $1,000,000 per year
- More efficient route planning & control of productivity
- Information from OMNICOMM Online (with 30+ available reports) is used to validate data submitted by employees
- Reports exported from OMNICOMM Online as Excel sheets to integrate with SBI's fuel station management platform. SBI also developed their own customized report combining automatically generated reports from OMNICOMM Online for added convenience and efficiency.